GPS Truck Tracking Software Improves Compliance and Driver Safety
A poor safety rating can be crippling to a business; fortunately GPS truck tracking software can help. Orkin, the 20th largest fleet in the world knows this all too well. The sustainability of Orkin’s entire business was threatened by a poor safety rating. At one point 7% of Orkin’s entire revenue was going towards insurance and claims. A strict culture of safe driving was introduced through a comprehensive fleet management program. Since implementing this program into their fleet 11 years ago, Orkin has saved as much as $40 million per year or $6000+/vehicle.
The margin for error within driver safety and compliance becomes narrower every year. Any tickets, accidents or claims impacts the entire company and forces harsher penalties, liability, and ultimately higher overall operating costs.
- Post a weekly driver scorecard report for drivers and management. This report measures driver risk by driver. Risky driving habits such as speeding, seat-belt, harsh-braking and backing-up when leaving are measured.
- Allow drivers to self-evaluate and make efforts to improve poor driving habits through the GPS truck tracking software.
- Define penalties around unsafe driving which puts your company at risk. Communicate that unsafe driving will not be tolerated.
- Develop baseline measurements of driving habits through a driver scorecard. Evaluate current liability and insurance costs. Set goals for improvement based on the measurements and measure against these goals at 3-6-12 month intervals.
- Using the GPS truck tracking software, implement driver training for high risk drivers. A study by SAFED showed that the average driver reduces fuel consumption by over 10% following fuel efficient driver training. Additionally driver training reduces risk and claims by as much as 50%.
INSURANCE DISCOUNT PARTNERSHIP
Call your insurance company. Evaluate potential insurance savings with your insurance company based on reduced liability.
GoFleet has developed an insurance discount partnership with Mutual Liberty. This insurance discount can range from a 10-40% discount on insurance premiums for fleets greater than 20 vehicles (US Based Customers). Qualify for insurance discounts by visiting our insurance partner: On Board Advisor.
COMPLIANCE WITH HOS & DVIR
New CSA/DOT compliance requirements mandate Hours of Service (HOS / Driver Log) and Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) for specific types of commercial fleets (typically applying to heavy duty logistics fleets). These mandates help ensure drivers are not driving fatigued and that vehicles safe to operate on the road. Through GPS truck tracking software, GoFleet offers HOS & DVIR compliance tools that are Android / Garmin / Mobile based. Do you have HOS / DVIR requirements? Want to learn more about GPS fleet tracking solutions? Email: [email protected]