Global passenger traffic and air cargo volume are on the increase, according to the latest edition of the World Airport Traffic Report from the Airports Council International (ACI).1 Although figures for 2015 have not been finalized, the ACI predicts that air traffic will continue to rise. The rising volume of airport traffic signals a potential opportunity for growth in telematics. Air operations are costly and time-sensitive. Fleet management and vehicle tracking of airport ground support equipment (GSE) such as baggage/cargo handling tugs, tractors, refuelers, and container loaders can provide the visibility and information required to streamline operations, increase safety, and control costs.
Benefits of using fleet management for ground support equipment:
- Reduced set-up time for operations with real-time location visibility of equipment; searching for loaned or borrowed equipment will be a thing of the past. Alerts can be generated for assets entering no-go and restricted areas or assets leaving your work.
- Easier and more accurate tracking of mileage and hours. Eliminate time-consuming and costly physical monitoring and checking.
- Reduced maintenance and fuel costs through monitoring of power take off use and engine idling time. Auxiliary inputs are available to use a vast number 3rd party devices and other sensors.
- Lower costs related to maintenance and down-time. Monitoring diagnostic trouble code information makes it possible to proactively attend to equipment issues early before they turn into asset down-time or costly repairs.
- Improved airport safety by enforcing safety policies like start-up sequences and seat belt use, and by detecting aggressive driving on driveable assets.
- Lower risk of unauthorized use by tracking off-hour usage. This information is also available on older equipment without a diagnostic port. Both 12 volt and 24 volt assets can be equipped.
- Greater warranty compliance with maintenance alerts and schedules.
For other industry-specific solutions, visit the Geotab Marketplace to view the existing portfolio of MyGeotab Add-ins, Mobile Apps, Hardware accessories and Add-On, Custom Reports and General Software Solutions.
Original Blog From Geotab, David Bradley, Engineering Consultant
Airports Council International. (August 31, 2015). ACI Releases 2014 World Airport Traffic Report: Airports In Advanced Economies Rebound In 2014 – Global Passenger Traffic Up By Over 5%; Air Cargo Volumes Rise After Three Years Of Stagnation – Aug 31, 2015.
Retrieved from http://www.aci.aero/News/Releases/Most-Recent/2015/08/31/ACI-releases-2014-World-Airport-Traffic-Report-Airports-in-advanced-economies-rebound-in-2014–global-passenger-traffic-up-by-over-5-air-cargo-volumes-rise-after-three-years-of-stagnation-