Before you install your Telematics Device, please document the serial number located on the device. You will need this information at a later time to verify your installation.
Note: there are extra serial number labels shipped with each kit.
Ensure that your vehicle has no warning lights displayed on the dashboard prior to installing the device.
Installing your Telematics Device
- Locate the vehicle’s engine diagnostic port typically found in the driver’s area at or below knee level.
Note: Commercial vehicles with diesel engines use a different connection. If it is necessary to install your Telematics Device away from the engine diagnostic port, you can use the extension harness that comes with each device.
- Align the receiver end of the Telematics Device with the engine diagnostic port and simply push in place, ensuring that the device is secure. You will hear a number of quick beeps and all three lights will flash briefly.
- Start the vehicle and allow it to run for approximately 3 minutes. During this time, you will notice the red light on the Telematics Device will illuminate. Shortly afterwards, the green and blue lights will come on signifying it has connected to the cellular and GPS networks.
Note: To ensure connectivity to the GPS satellites make sure your vehicle is parked in an uncovered area with a clear view of the sky.
- Once all three lights have come on, secure your Telematics Device using the supplied zip tie to prevent tampering.
Verify your installation
- Your Telematics Device serial number, which can be found at the bottom of the unit is required for this step Navigate to the web page http://myinstall.geotab.com. Here you will be asked to fill in your name, email address and the device serial number. The next step is to Click on Checkto verify your installation.
Note: This page is optimized for use on mobile devices and it may be easier to access the page from your smartphone to make referencing the serial number easier.
- When your Telematics Device has been verified you will see confirmation in green text. If an issue was encountered while verifying your installation, the cause of the issue will be displayed in red. In this case, verify the Telematics Device is properly installed and the lights are on.